Maybe, you are in a situation where there is an empty room, and you have the perfect rug in your mind. However, if you find the perfect rug, there is, unfortunately, one more (or several more) tasks to work on in your house in addition to it. Sometimes, a carpet can actually be more than just a supportive decorative piece. It can also be the starting point of the design ideas for other furniture. Hence, it could be challenging to design everything around.
Or maybe, you're going to try to place a rug you are attached to into a room already designed perfectly. Then, what would you do? Both these situations can be challenging, but we have some advice that could be beneficial for you.
It is always good to take a picture of the rugIt is highly advised since you cannot go furniture shopping with an actual rug. Thus, you can have a piece of reference while you are buying interior decorations for your space. But don’t forget to take the picture under good lighting.
You can always play around with colors and designs.You can build your room centering a rug and select the items according to it, but if you do get bored of the carpet one day. Are you going to change everything then? So, it is always good not to be so strict and careful about the designs and the colors.
Your rug could be an anchorIf you put your rug first, you could have a clearer vision of where and how to put other furniture. In this way, whether it is enormous or small, you can place your key pieces accordingly. For instance, if the rug is round or oval rugs, it can be easier to set and change the sofas and chairs, as you can put them off the edges, making the shape of the rug more visible.
Placing furniture accordingly
Make sure to leave some space between baseboards and the edge of the rugIt is not a great idea to make your rug cover the entire floor underneath.
Don't be afraid to use different colors and patternsIf you use colors and patterns that you want, you will let your soul shine in your home.
You should try using the layering effectThis might sound a bit strange and sometimes overwhelming, but if you place two or more rugs on top of one another or a rug over a carpet, you can create this effect. In this way, the bottom layers can be seen and would build dimension and texture to your space. It is an excellent tip that we can give for you is to cover it up with an old solid-colored or jute area rug with something a bit smaller and patterned!
Place the carpet in a place where you spend the most timeSince carpets make up the decoration of the whole space and create warmth- metaphorically and realistically- it's the best idea to put it in a room where you are usually spending your time. So, why don't you add decorative and fun carpets to areas where you spend a lot of time, such as your bedroom, kitchen, dining room (has to under your dining table), and home office (especially during the pandemic) or even bathroom!
Enormous areas need more than just one rugHence, you can always be more generous and divide the space into two separate areas (or maybe more) with rugs. But of course, they have to compliment and be relevant to each other. In this way, in such large rooms, you can define specific and different and highlight them.
Keep the material in mind!Apart from all the decorative, colorful, and fun aspects of choosing a rug, you have to be realistic while you are selecting the material. You have to consider whether there will be a lot of traffic on the carpet. Your family, friends, your kids (or their friends), and pets all will damage the rug in some way and will create wear and tear on a carpet. If this is the case, then we would advise you to choose wool. They are easy to clean, and you can keep them for many, many years. Thus, you have to be very critical and realistic while you are deciding on the material.
Additional Tips While You Are Decorating Your Space with Rugs!
- If you use more than one rug in a room, make sure they are not the same size. Carpets of the same size make the space look smaller.
- Try warm colors like red, yellow, and orange. In this way, you can create a cozy and passionate atmosphere. In addition, the shades of blue and gray can actually make you feel like you have a room that is larger than it is.
- If the space has patterned upholstered armchairs or fancy wallpaper, choose a more straightforward rug, which is not too eye-catching. If your walls are in neutral tones and your sofa upholstery is solid, try a more intense pattern for added interest in the room.
- If you want your space to appear larger than it is, you should leave bare floors around the edges of the rug. With this little trick, you will refresh the room. Try to always prefer to use anti-slip carpets.
- When choosing a carpet color, test how the colors look in your room both during the day and at night.
- To add a soul and enthusiasm to the room, you can choose carpets with a "relief" effect. These types of carpets create a 3-dimensional effect on the floor.
- Using carpets of distinct decorative and shades of colors in minimalist furnished spaces will make the area more eye-catching and will generate new centers thanks to the contrasting colors.