Rug weaving rug is produced with different fibers today. Generally speaking, these are wool, mohair, cotton and silk. The features of each differ from each other.
Therefore, if you are considering buying a new rug, it is recommended that you know the different options and decide on the most suitable ones for you before making a decision.
Wool is one of the rug weaving rug materials. In general terms, the properties of this material can be mentioned as follows:
- Fineness: Wool fiber can become thinner and turn into yarn.
- Length: Wool fiber stretches as it turns into yarn. Wool has the best elongation feature among natural fibers with a rate of 40%.
- Strength: Wool is a rather perishable fiber. Its durability decreases when wet.
- Felting: When the morphological features of wool are combined with suitable environmental conditions, a unique feature called “felting” emerges.
- Springing: It is the compression of the wool after it is taken into the palm and regaining its former form. It is highly resistant to wrinkling and crushing. Short wool fibers have a higher springiness.
- Moisture Absorption: Wool is the fiber that absorbs the most moisture. Wool has the capacity to hold moisture up to 30% of its weight without giving a feeling of wetness. It is fire resistant. Its unique wet wool smell shows anti-microbial properties.
- Electrification: The ability of wool to conduct electricity is very weak.
If you want to choose wool rugs, these are the general features it has.
Cotton is another rug weaving rug option. If you intend to use it in your living spaces, its general features are as follows:
- It absorbs moisture well.
- They are breathable fabrics.
- In summer, it gives out hot air.
- In winter, it traps warm air inside.
- It allows the sweat to evaporate into the air.
- It helps a cool home in summer and warm home in winter.
- It is not flexible. Rigid.
- It does not create static electricity.
- It is durable.
- It is most durable when wet.
- Holds paint well.
- It stains.
- It can shrink when washed.
- It dries slowly.
- It is resistant to washing.
- It is not easily deformed when exposed to sunlight.
- It is resistant to abrasion.
- The least allergenic fabric is cotton.
Cotton, which is among the rug weaving options in general, has such features.
There are many materials that can be used during rug weaving. One of them is silk. The general characteristics of such materials are as follows:
- It has a thin, smooth, shiny structure.
- It is elegant and draped, does not crease easily
- Can create static electricity
- Durable and lightweight
- Absorbs moisture and dries quickly
- Color fades if exposed to the sun for a long time
In general, the properties of silk are as follows. This also applies to carpets manufactured using silk material.
What Should Be Considered When Choosing a Rug?
When choosing rug, you have to take attention to some points. Thus, it is possible to be more satisfied with the rug you purchased. In general terms, these can be represented as items as follows.
When choosing rug, the first thing you can look is color. The colors that dominate the area where you will use the rug will allow you to easily decide which color the rug you will buy should be. You should be careful that your rug color has tones close to wall paint or other textile products such as curtains. In this way, you can achieve a unity that continues each other.
However, you can draw the focal point of the decoration to the carpet by making use of contrast colors. You can choose light colors to make the space look wider, but if your priority is not to reflect the dirt for a long time, you can vote for dark and densely patterned carpets and try to create the perception of width with different perception games.
When choosing rug, you can also look for patterns. With the most basic rule, you can decide whether you should choose your rug with or without a pattern, considering your seats. If your seats are plain, you can choose your carpet with a pattern with peace of mind. If the usage area is small, do not forget that rugs with plain patterns or completely without patterns will create a spacious and wide perception.
The yarn feature of a rug gives us information about what kind of texture it has. There are yarn types with different properties such as cotton, silk or wool. The yarn type of the rug determines many features such as its usage area, being easy to clean, stain-proofing and having a soft or hard texture.