If you are eager to learn what an area rug is, you came to the right place. Well, there are many reasons why you should buy an area rug for your living room or your family room. It has a functional piece as it splits the room or the massive area into different sections and can connect furniture to create a cohesive space. Usually, they are used in vast open-floor regions to make definite sections. Apart from living rooms, you can also use it in your kitchen or dining area to define the tables and chairs. Hence, it shows how you can use these different zones for different purposes and prevent your furniture from slipping on floors.
Furthermore, area rugs offer you a cozy and warm atmosphere, with decorative structures such as; color, pattern, texture, etc. Some can even be like one of the artworks in your home, just placed on the floor.
These types of rugs have very advantages since they are easy to clean, compared to wall-to-wall carpets. In addition, if you ever would like to add something new to the room, changing it is effortless, as you switch out it and replace a new one. There are plenty of options for area rugs, but it is essential to consider some of the critical rules before buying and placing them in your lovely homes.
Key Rules to Choosing the Correct Vintage Area Rug
Consider the size of your room
Before buying the area rug, you must consider what function you want your area rug to serve. Do you want to place it in your living room? Then, do you want to highlight your furniture or want to make the room cozier and warmer? Or, do you want to buy it just for decoration? These questions need to be answered before purchasing the area rug since they would all differ in size.
One of the common mistakes that people make is getting small ones since they do not measure the room's size or the furniture before. However, an area rug should sit under all the essential tables in a room. If it is not possible, at least it should fit under the front legs of the most oversized furniture, such as a couch, leaving the back legs on the floor. So, consider your furniture sizes and their places before buying an area rug.
- For example, if you want to highlight the furniture, you have to choose an area rug large enough to cover it.
- However, if you want to make the room cozier, selecting an area rug would be the best option, which covers most of the furniture and the floor. Hence, our advice would be for you to buy an extra-large area rug.
- On the other hand, if your reason for buying an area rug is only based on your enthusiasm about decoration, you can choose either of both scenarios that we described earlier since the color and the pattern would be more essential.
Also, the standard sizes of area rugs can change between the manufacturers. However, usually, they will have similar guidelines.
- Usually, in an averaged-sized room, 10 to 20 cm of the floor should be left between the edges of the area rug and the room's walls. It would also depend on the size of the room. The most important thing is to center the carpet in the room and ensure that the distance between the rug and the wall is the same on all four sides.
- Also, if you have a relatively large room, it would be better to make two sections and use different rugs.
Hence, if you’re searching for more inspiration and ideas on sizes and how to place an area rug, you can check out our “Ultimate Guide to Choose the Right Size of a Rug” article.
Consider the Colors and Patterns of the Vintage Area Rug
After selecting the size of an area rug, you need to consider the right color and pattern. The designs and colors vary in many ways, as can be used like artworks in many homes. So, be bold and don't be afraid to choose something playful and exciting.
- For example, bold patterns can add coziness and a fun atmosphere to the room. However, one thing to keep in mind is that your furniture should not cover the whole rug.
- Make sure that you have a solid decision about the placement of your furniture.
- For example, if your room is overcrowded with furniture, buying a Turkish rug with plain and solid styles is better since a patterned area rug can create a chaotic atmosphere. So, also think about the colors of the space that you’re going to be decorating.
Therefore, to make an easier decision, we advise you to check our website or visit our shop.
Maintenance options for the Vintage Area Rug
The third important point you have to keep in mind is the maintenance of the area rug that you buy. After you choose the perfect size and have the perfect match of color and pattern for the room, the only thing you have to consider is how to clean it.
For each rug, the way you clean can change. However, there are some specific guidelines that you can follow to keep your carpet as new as possible for years. Hence, before purchasing a vintage area rug, consider its material and the place you'll be placing it so that you can decide on appropriate maintenance for it.
- Usually, medium to high-piled rugs should be professionally cleaned once or twice a year to eliminate dust, hair, and allergens. Daily vacuuming is beneficial; however, it would not be enough.
- Low-pile carpets and flatweave rugs should be taken outside to be shaken out once or twice a week. In this way, getting rid of dust and hair would be easier.
- You need to keep in mind to check the cleaning instructions of the area rug that you buy. For example, rugs that are made of sisal should not get wet. Thus, if you wash it, it could result in permanent damage.
- Also, never cut or throw away the tags with cleaning instructions.
Vintage Area Rug Placements for Each Room
Bedroom Vintage Area Rugs
The room that you will sleep in is one of the most important places in your house. Hence, comfort is a crucial point. To create a cozy atmosphere, placing a bedroom area rug will add warmth and comfort and the chance to add a decorative structure with different colors and patterns.
- One of the most popular ways to incorporate an area rug into your bedroom is to place the area rug under your bed.
- The carpet should extend beyond your bed. In this way, you will make sure that the carpet has a significant visual impact, as it also highlights the bed. Also, if the carpet covers more space on the floor, then you would feel cozier.
- In addition, if you have a big bedroom, you can put two tugs on each side of your bed. In this way, you would have an asymmetrical and more classic look.
- Or, you can lay a large area rug at the end of your bed, which can emphasize the design of the room and the structure of the bed.
Living Room Vintage Area Rugs
The room where you spend time with your family and you welcome your guests is your living room. Thus, it is very vital that the decorative structure also invites people. In this case, you should also consider your lifestyle and how you use your living room. For example, do you use it just to welcome guests or eat or watch movies or all of them? You can determine what kind of area rug you would need for your living room by answering these questions.
- While choosing a large vintage area rug for your living room, you should think about the material and the maintenance since there will be lots of spills of drinks and food stains.
- With the rug you will choose, you should put the furniture such as sofas and armchairs under the spotlight.
Kitchen Room Vintage Area Rugs
In the kitchen, laminate or tiles are usually used as floor décor, as it is easy to clean. However, sometimes it can be a great idea to add a kitchen area rug for a cold floor since it will have some warmth and comfort and color and texture in the kitchen.
- It is important to consider the design while you are thinking about purchasing it since it needs to be in match with the rest of the kitchen's décor.
- For example, our advice for a classic kitchen, with wooden textures and cupboards, would be a more traditional carpet, matching the overall atmosphere.
- On the other hand, more modern and newer kitchens, with built-in ovens and cookers, colored and patterned carpets will create a cohesive and put-together look.
When you enter the house, the first thing that you will walk through will be the hallway. Hence placing a runner rug will create a great atmosphere as soon as you enter the house, as your guests will be impressed as well.
- Before buying the perfect vintage carpet, the most important thing you have is to measure your hallway's length and width. In this way, you'll have an idea of the area that you will buy something for.